How to Clean a Garbage Disposal?Cleaning a garbage disposal is important to prevent odors and keep it functioning properly. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean a garbage disposal:
- Ice cubes
- Rock salt or vinegar
- Baking soda
- Lemon or citrus peels
- Dish soap
- Soft brush or an old toothbrush
- Plunger (optional)
- Before you begin, make sure to turn off the garbage disposal and unplug it if possible. Safety is a priority.
- Ice Cubes and Rock Salt or Vinegar:
- Start by filling the disposal with a handful of ice cubes.
- Pour a cup of rock salt or vinegar over the ice cubes.
- Turn on the disposal while running cold water. The ice and salt or vinegar will help clean the blades and remove any debris.
- Baking Soda:
- Sprinkle a quarter cup of baking soda into the disposal.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to neutralize odors.
- Citrus Peels:
- Drop a few citrus peels (lemon, orange, or lime) into the disposal.
- Run the disposal with cold water to freshen it up and add a pleasant scent.
- Dish Soap:
- Squeeze a few drops of dish soap into the disposal.
- Turn on the disposal and run hot water to help break down grease and eliminate odors.
- Brush Cleaning:
- For a more thorough cleaning, use a soft brush or an old toothbrush to clean the rubber splash guard and the inside of the disposal.
- Scrub away any visible debris or buildup.
- Flush with Water:
- After completing the cleaning process, run a steady stream of cold water for about 30 seconds to flush out any remaining particles.
- Plunge (if needed):
- If your garbage disposal is still not working properly, you can use a plunger to try to dislodge any clogs. Place the plunger over the drain and pump it several times.
- Regular Maintenance:
- To prevent future odors and clogs, consider running ice cubes, baking soda, and citrus peels through the disposal regularly.
- Check for Leaks:
- Periodically check for any leaks around the disposal and address them promptly.
Remember if you want to get your house Sparkling Cleaned without moving a finger, don’t hesitate and call Cleany!