During the rest of the year, this area of the house is more neglected because they are rarely used outside. They accumulate dust and dirt from inclement weather (such as rain, wind, and snow) and also from visits from birds such as pigeons and insects such as spiders. But don’t worry, with these tips to clean a balcony and organization you will have your balcony and terrace ready to be used. In this post, we share with you some steps and recommendations that will help you in your preparation.
Balcony cleaning is necessary for keeping your outdoor space as fresh as possible. While it might not need as regular cleaning as indoors, it’s best done once a month to keep things tidy.
How to Clean Balcony Railings
When it comes to how to clean balcony railings, it does depend on the material. It’s best to start at the top and work down, meaning railings first and then the floor.
You can clean metal railings using dish soap and water, scrubbing in small gaps with a toothbrush or other small brush. Wipe down with a microfiber cloth to dry it.
What do you need for cleaning terraces and balconies?
Before you start cleaning your balcony or terrace, we advise you to have these products and utensils ready:
- Cloths, cloths, and dusters.
- Broom and dustpan. Also a broom or sorghum brush.
- Textile brush and hard bristle brush.
- If your terrace is large and has stone tiles, you can use a pressure washer.
- Products for ecological cleaning: Marseille soap, white vinegar, baking soda, lemon, olive oil, salt.
- If these two areas are very dirty, you may need to use specific products, for example for the floors.
- With everything ready, you can start with the steps and areas to clean the balcony and terrace.
How to clean the balcony and terrace railings
We advise you to start with the railings to avoid stepping on the floor after cleaning.
This cleaning of railings depends on the material they are made of. Normally the railings are made of wrought iron, concrete, aluminum, marble, or glass.
How to Clean a Glass Balcony
Cleaning a glass balcony, and doors and windows, all use the same method. The steps for how to clean a glass balcony are as follows:
- Wash everything down with dish soap and water. This’ll remove grime and dirt.
- Wipe the glass surfaces with diluted white vinegar and a microfiber cloth.
- Work in circular motions, completely polishing the marks off.
While you can buy dedicated glass cleaning products, you can save yourself some money by buying a gallon bottle of vinegar and using that. There’s very little you can’t clean with vinegar!
If you wipe down your balcony’s glass elements once a week with vinegar spray, you should find you don’t need to deep clean them very often.
Cleaning the balcony and terrace floors
With the rest of the spaces already cleaned, it’s time for the last step, cleaning the floor of terraces and balconies.
As in the cases of furniture and railings, each floor material needs a type of cleaning and products.
Although these two steps are common to all floors:
The first step is to sweep the floor with a broom to remove dirt, dry leaves, and dust.
Another step is to pass a soft bristle brush dipped in hot water and soap or mild detergent. If the type of floor allows it (you will find out below), you can use a steam cleaner.
Remember if you want to get your house Sparkling Cleaned without moving a finger, don’t hesitate and call Cleany!
To purchase the best Cleaning products recommended by professionals, go to our Cleany Store!